What Does the Holiday Spirit Feel Like Abroad?

Flavors - What Does the Holiday Spirit Feel Like Abroad?

Good afternoon. Now, I learned all about Flavors - What Does the Holiday Spirit Feel Like Abroad?. Which could be very helpful in my opinion and also you. What Does the Holiday Spirit Feel Like Abroad?

The year-end holidays carry a singular "flavor" with them, one that affects all senses: original holiday dishes, Christmas carols (in my tradition), decorations, the Christmas tree, smells of cinnamon and home-baked cookies, and velvety decorations all around.

What I said. It shouldn't be the final outcome that the true about Flavors. You read this article for info on what you want to know is Flavors.

Flavors

If there's one thing that I am very attached to, it's Christmas tradition. I remember the first time I spent Christmas with my husband's family in the United States--what a culture shock! I plan I was pretty well-known with American culture after living in New York City for six years. Well, I found myself thoroughly disoriented and feeling out of place because everything felt so foreign and "wrong."

So if you are in a foreign country over the holidays, make it easy on yourself and bring just one wee reminder from home, something that embodies the spirit of the holiday for you. Then dive into what your host country has to offer!

If you're celebrating at home but would like to get a taste of how your new country does celebrate the holidays, I'd advise you do three things:

1. Try a holiday recipe
2. Listen to a holiday Cd
3. Participate in a holiday ritual (go to Midnight Mass, light Hanukkah candles, etc.)

Let's focus on #1 today. I want to share my very favorite kind of cookie formula with you.

Haselnußplätzchen (Hazelnut cookies)

- 250 g sugar (250 g is about 1 cup, or half a pound)
- 250 g butter
- 250 g ground hazelnuts (filberts)
- 250 g all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup apricot or raspberry jam

In a mixing bowl, mix together butter and sugar. Add the egg. Then add the hazelnut meal and the flour. Knead it into a covenant dough, then let it cool in the fridge for 1-2 hours. If the dough isn't cold adequate when you cut out the cookies, they end up melting in the oven, and that's no fun! (Can you tell I've done that?) So make sure that the dough is nice and cold before you start rolling it out on your counter.

Cut bite-size round shapes with a cookie cutter. Bake them for 15 minutes at 175 - 195 degrees Celsius (that's 350 - 385 degrees Fahrenheit). They should be dark brown. The darker they are, the stronger the nutty flavor, but there's a fine line in the middle of dark and burned. Let them cool off on a cooling rack.

Optional: dip one side of each cookie in a plate of sugar while they're still hot. The sugar will stick to the "outside" of the cookie.

Once they're cooled off, spread a layer of jam on half of the cookies and stick the other half on to make a wee sandwich.

A wee cultural side-story: In Germany, we use a lot of hazelnuts and almonds in our baking. They're as base as peanuts are in the U.S. In fact, I remember how at one of the first Christmas parties I attended in South Carolina, I reached for a chocolate-covered cookie that looked enticing. What a shock to my senses to peruse upon my first bite that it had a peanut butter filling! I do like peanuts, but I had never linked Christmas with peanuts before and it might take me other twenty years to make that connection. :)

If you're not into baking, you can get some of the German Christmas cookies online or at specialty stores. Trader Joe's carries my favorite kind, Lebkuchen, which is a type of ginger cookie covered with chocolate or sugar glaze. Here are a few pictures for your cookie orientation, and a few places to get them!

German Deli - germandeli.com/bachco.html?gclid=Cnee-6DppZcCfsauagod
J380ow

German Foods - germanfoods.org/consumer/facts/lebkuchen.cfm

My Mom all the time made sure that all the cookies were ready by December 6th, which is "Nikolaustag" or St. Nicholas Day. Typically to celebrate this, on the evening of December 5th children set their shoes exterior the window or by the door. If they have been good, Nikolaus stops by to fill their shoes with nuts, oranges and wee presents. I don't need to tell you that I was all the time very excited on Nikolaustag!

Hopefully, you've been a good girl or boy this year and can expect some treats in your shoes on the morning of the 6th of December!

I hope you receive new knowledge about Flavors. Where you possibly can put to used in your day-to-day life. And most significantly, your reaction is passed about Flavors.

0 comments:

Post a Comment